Total Pageviews

Monday, April 11, 2011

Lecturing in Nepal

I have delivered two lectures now to the PAHS medical students in Nepal.  The first one was on the Importance of Genetics in Medicine & Modes of Inheritance and the second one today was on Cytogenetic & Chromosomes.  There is so much information to pack into such a short amount of time!  It is very difficult to know what to include and what to leave out.  It is also hard to prepare ahead of time as things change at the last minute here in Nepal.  It turns out that BaishaK, Nepali New Year, is on Thursday so we have no classes.  This means that the lab and lecture that I ahd planned for that day had to be cancelled.  The content then needs to be added to and fit into another leture and lab time slot.  Hard to do...
Regardless, teaching is fun!
I received the feedback immediately after my first lecture that I speak too fast and I need to slow down - not a surprise at all!  I speak too fast for students in Canada!  So that was good to know.  Katie observed my lecture today and heard students comment that it was all clear once I was done - that's nice to hear.  I know that some students are confused - genetics is confusing.  And trying to understand mosaicism and uniparental disomy and indications for prenatal diagnosis and risk calculation in just a few hours?  Very hard to do!
Tomorrow is my very busy day.  I have PBL at 8 am until 10 am, then I deliver a lecture on Prenatal Diagnosis and Genetic Counseling at 11 am, I lead a PBL Tutor Challneges discussion at 12 pm and then hold a 2 hour workshop from 2-4 pm on Pedigree Analysis and Risk Calculation.  Then go straigt to dinner with the PAHS team.
After that we have 2 days off.  I give my last lecture and lab on Friday!
The time has gone SO fast!  I can't believe it is almost over. I will be so sad to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment