Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

UBC Medical Students Going to Nepal

Wow!  I am so envious of the students from UBC medical school who are going to Nepal this summer.  I wish I was going there again too!  It would be great to be there at the same time.  I just had a great meeting with them about what to expect in Nepal.  It was so fun to talk about it with them - I could have stayed for hours.

It made me remember so many little details of my time there and it was fun to reminisce.

I came up with a few things that I would tell anyone traveling to Nepal to bring and to think about:
  • bring slippers - the houses and rooms are chilly and it's nice and warm to have them
  • bring a warm hoodie or sweater - same reason (PAHS is COLD!!!)
  • earplugs - the dogs bark all night and you won't be able to sleep well without them
  • hand sanitizer
  • shoes you don't care about as they will get very worn and dirty (or buy some cheap ones there)
  • don't bring white clothes that you love - they will get dirty and stay pretty dirty
  • lights (headlamp etc) for walking at night and for load shedding (power outages)
  • bring a few passport photos - for your visa at the airport, cell phone purchase, trekking, other?
Things to think about while in Nepal:
  • Buy a cell phone (there is a place right across from Patan Hospital) + SIM + recharge card - you will need a photocopy of your passport photo page, your visa passport page and a passport photos - it's worth it because everyone communicates by cell phone
  • momos are fantastic!
  • The food at the cafeteria in the hospital is very good
So many more things - I will have to write a document to send around I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment