Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Back in Kathmandu!

I made it!  I am safe and sound in Shalom Guesthouse in Kathmandu, Nepal.  The flight this morning from Bangkok was good and my arrival at the airport in Kathmandu was surprisingly easy and low key.  I wonder if it's because it's a Saturday?  There were hardly any people and the chaos I am used to was very diminished.  I even had Anil from Patan Academy of Health Sciences (PAHS - the medical school I am teaching at) manage to come pick me up, despite the protests and blocked roads due to demonstrations.  It was so nice to see a familiar face in the throng of taxi drivers outside the airport.

He explained to me that some roads were blocked due to protests and we had to take a few detours to avoid large gatherings and crowds.


He advised me that today and tomorrow would be dangerous days to be outside as these are the last 2 days before the new Constitution comes in on May 28th.  These are the last 2 days for protests and demonstrations.  There were Nepali police with riot gear everywhere along our drive!  I think I will definitely listen to his advice and stay indoors!

We made it to the new Shalom Guesthouse location - not too far from where the old one was.  Anil had to back down a super narrow road to get me to the house and then my Didi Mahili showed us to my room.  It's a big spacious room with lots of windows - it will be nice to have the cross breeze - it is SO hot here!

Near Shalom
So I am just relaxing here in my room.  Glad to be finished the long journey.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.  I haven't seen Peggy yet, a colleague from Camosun College who is here to observe PBL in the medical school and to help me train the faculty in problem-based learning.  She is also staying at Shalom.  It will be nice to see her!  I will also see Katie tomorrow and all of my PAHS colleagues and students!  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment