Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Bhaktapur - The Cultural City

Today we also ventured out to Bhaktapur for a more peaceful tourist experience.  We hired a taxi to take us there, to wait for us and to drive us home.  This cost Rs. 1500 and was well worth it.  I love Bhaktapur.  The squares are so beautiful and clean and it is very peaceful there.  Far less people and so much to see.





We had a quick snack and then we ventured through the Golden Gate.  It's so beautiful and I had assumed that non-Hindu people were not allowed through it.  We went in to check it out.  It turns out that we can go through the gate, but we cannot enter the Hindu temples within.





I love these temples here in Durbar Square.


Siddhi Laxmi Temple




This is such an old city.  It used to be the capital of Nepal at one time.  There was a major earthquake that destroyed many buildings here but much has been restored.  You can see the age and damage in some areas.




Fish market...



Chicken!



Women filling water containers at a well.

We made our way over to Dattatreya Square to see the famous Peacock Window.  A beautiful Newari wood carving from the 16th century.


Peacock Window

We went into the Peacock Shop that is found in the same alleyway and where the beautiful Nepali paper that is found in many stores is made.  We bought some beautiful things and then we went into the factory to see how the paper is made.


LOVE THIS!  These are for intellectuals..."You will know more"!!



Finally, we made our way back to Taumadhi Square where Nyatapola Temple is - the tallest temple in Nepal.




It was such a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I always feel like I'm there when I see your pics. They really transport me. I can't believe you're there! Glad you overcame your trauma of monkeys! I was laughing out loud when I read your entry! I can't believe you're on the other side of the world right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you like the photos! Wish you could be here.

      Delete