Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Kathmandu-first day

It's really early in the morning here in Kathmandu. Just after 4 am. I fell sound asleep at about 6 or 7 pm after a long few days and had a great sleep! As I type this I can hear the jingle of the bells next door. Someone with their offering. I know someone told me the whole story behind this once but I'll have to ask again. I remember hearing it every morning. I like the idea that someone gets up every morning before sunrise and puts out an offering to the gods (?). So different from what I am used to. It seems like such a positive and beautiful thing to do.
I can also hear the dogs' incessant barking. Something I had almost forgotten about. You need earplugs to sleep well here for sure!
After I arrived here I was driven to Shalom Guesthouse where I will be staying for a few days. It's a nice house with many international people staying here. I was only awake briefly yesterday so have not met many of them yet. I brought my stuff upstairs and then we drove to Patan Hospital. I got to see the hospital again, the new PAHS building and many of the faculty. It was so nice to see everyone! Satish, Shital, Mili, Anupa, Rajesh and many others. The new building is fantastic! Beautiful PBL rooms, labs, a huge library, a computer room for the students, lecture rooms...love it!
Katie showed me her apartment. It's very cute! A nice size with everything you could need and right beside the hospital. She doesn't have far to walk to get to work each morning!
Katie then walked me back here and my reintroduction to Kathmandu began! The sights and sounds (honking) and smells are very overwhelming! The traffic and the driving and the honking! I could never drive here. We saw an accident on our way from the airport actually. That is strangely a rare thing. We walked back here to Shalom so I could figure out my way for when I have to walk to and from work. We got a bit lost. We walked a bit farther than we had to and had to ask for directions a few times. My comments in an earlier post proved true! Many people will tell you they know the way when they really don't. They mean well. then we finally made it. I came in and settled in a bit and promptly went to sleep!
I just realized that while I have been typing this I have not heard a single dog. I guess 4:30 am is a magical hour. I can hear many people walking and running and talking outside in the streets. I am always amazed at how early things get going here.
Today is a holiday at PAHS so I will take the day to get my bearings and check out my home and my surroundings. I have to meet Katie and my ride at Patan Hospital at 5 pm for a special dinner. I am really lookng forward to it!
So my time in Nepal has started off perfectly! Can't wait to see what comes!
I will start work on Thursday morning.
More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment