Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

More thoughts and updates

I got up and ready and out the door by 7:30 am today. It's a beautiful day here and not too hot. I left a message for Andy, an NMP student who I knew was here in Kathmandu doing some electives at Patan Hospital but didn't realize was staying here in Shalom until I saw his name on the whiteboard. As I was walking downstairs there he was brushing his teeth. We are going to meet up at the hospital and go out for dinner tomorrow.
I then headed out to check things out around here. I wanted to see what stores were here, wanted to find a bookstore and see about some food. It was a nice walk and I found myself out at the hospital again. I went past it a bit into a great marketplace and just took some photos and watched the people. I stopped for some groceries and then headed back here.
It's funny how I feel so out of place here and have to wonder how the Nepali people feel about Westerners coming here to teach in the medical school, to trek and to visit. when I went into the little grocery store I felt like I was making them uncomfortable. Or maybe that was just me feeling uncomfortable?
I came back here to make some noodles and met Ross from New Zealand. He has been here for 3 months and is leaving in a week or so. He had tea while I ate my soup and we chatted a bit. He has been coming here for years and knows the language well. I envy that. I wish I knew anything at all.
He gave me a few tips and told me about some shops close by and told me I had to check out the view from the roof. I am going to head up there right now.

3 comments:

  1. okay - LOL I have to comment about how you felt you were making the people in the store uncomfortable.....
    Do you know that's exactly the kind of thing your father and Audrey would think and say? LOL
    It was probably in your mind.

    have fun - they'll respond well to your gentle manner and your nice smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I didn't realize that you would be in Patan! That was my favorite place when I was visiting Kathmandu.

    I hope you're feeling more at home, Jane. It always takes a bit of time to feel one with new cultures and customs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! Genetics is truly amazing! Even something like that can be inherited.
    Rebecca, yes, PAHS is in Patan at Patan Hospital. I like Patan too. You'll have to come work at PAHS next time!

    ReplyDelete