Total Pageviews

Friday, March 25, 2011

Last Day of Work - for a while

I am leaving for Nepal on Sunday.  I can't believe it is already here!  It came up so fast!  I still have a lot to do but I am almost ready.  The packing is what always gets me...

I had a great discussion today with a colleague about international medical education and the impact that "Westernization" of medicine is having on "non-Western" countries.  It's such a fascinating topic.  He pointed out that as I think about and adapt my presentations and lectures to be culturally sensitive for the Nepali students, I end up altering and almost misrepresenting what the "inner circle" of Western medicine really looks like.  It's so true.  Of course I will present something at least slightly different to students in Nepal than what I would present to students at UBC and in Canada.  Is that a good thing or a bad thing?  How will this affect their identity formation as medical professionals?  Do we want them to become similar to Western medical professionals?  What do I know about the profession of medicine in Nepal?  What does it mean for the Nepali students to develop an identity as a medical professional when their mentors and teachers just drop in and then leave?  Is it our goal to Westernize medicine in Nepal?
I am very interested to read the literature about this and to read about what the impact has been on other countries - like China.
Well, I hope you will follow me as I start my journey on Sunday.  It will be a long day with lots of flights so you might hear from me again before I arrive in Kathmandu.  Victoria - Vancouver - Los Angeles - Bangkok - Kathmandu!

3 comments:

  1. So many important questions, Jane! You are approaching this assignment (more like a calling :) with such thoughtful sensitivity. Your journey is off to a great start and you haven't even left Canada yet!
    Safe travels!
    Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing you, you'll be extremely respectful of their culture and beliefs. Remember that you just present to them - they can do with it what they choose.
    Perhaps what you bring home with you will be the real benefit of this trip.

    Mar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, are doctors as revered in Nepal as they are in the West? Somehow I think not but I really don't know.

    ReplyDelete